Wednesday, August 01, 2007

One of those moments

sometimes it seems that it takes a great loss to appreciate these things, or maybe it just came to me at the right time.

i first met him 2 weeks ago, just after we broke up
the map i had made for myself to go to the clinic was wrong -
nothing major, just removing a birthmark
- i couldn't find the main street on my hand drawn map. and so i asked the man walking in front of me. an old man with a friendly face, dark brown eyes and a characteristic nose.

he only spoke spanish and it's so long since i studied that little that i know. but he told me his family was up the street and we slowly walked the 60 meters. a friendly woman with two lovely kids now speaking in english makes a phone call and explains the way.

i could have asked someone else, i could have been scared,
and why would they care about my troubles
but they did - their kindness touched me
not for the great deed, but for the liberty with which they shared it

today i saw him again, this time walking home
an old man carefully, almost painfully removing his coat to enjoy the rare sun
each step proud, but measured
i watch from behind, admiring the courage of the aged
something was familiar but it wasn't until i saw his face i realized it was him
the rest of the way we spoke whatever we could, whatever words I know in spanish
he would not come in for coffee or accept any gift but i think he understood what i was trying to say

it is people and moments like this that rekindle my belief and hope in all that is good

so simple, and yet so incredibly magnanimous