Sunday, September 03, 2006

There is a word for it!

tarantism - An uncontrollable urge to dance.

At 3.9.06, Blogger onespring said...

A. and I are going clubing tonight... he loves to dance, so I am sure I have tarantism urges.. even if I can't dance.

 
At 5.9.06, Blogger Unknown said...

Origin of the use of the word 'tarantism' to describe this psycho-imperative:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=726
The dance is pronounced
'Tar ahn too la'. I'm sure you'd be very good at it :D

I once met a gentleman in Dublin who was doing his Ph.D. on this woman, although given my spongy sense of self, it might have been someone else who met him and told me the story. Anyway, up the Irish! Did you know the real Zorro was actually from Wexford?

http://www.irishdemocrat.co.uk/reviews/the-irish-zorro/

 
At 5.9.06, Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, calling it the origin of the word is a half-truth - but there's less evidence to back up the story about farmers in Taranto dancing to cure themselves of spider-bites, so I'm going with the cool story.

 

Post a Comment